Rating is available when the video has been rented.
This feature is not available right now. Please try again later.
Published on Mar 10, 2014
Opened in 1941, RAF Harrowbeer was predominantly a fighter base for Hurricanes, Blenheims & Spitfires. It's wartime designation QB can clearly be seen at the start of this video next to the remains of the control/watch tower. The actual take-off point was from the centre of the old compass plate where aircraft were bought to have their compasses calibrated.
Harrowbeer consisted of three runways, 24 dispersal pens and a large well distributed support site to the NW (and seen in the early part of the video) as well as many dispersed sites in the immedate area.
With the end of WWII, RAF Harrowbeer was closed and by 1961 the site was pretty well demolished. A few remaining buildings can be found and a lot of the old hut bases are still visible.