The Jacobus Vanderveer House was once the home and headquarters of General Henry Knox, who commanded a military training academy in Pluck...
The Jacobus Vanderveer House was once the home and headquarters of General Henry Knox, who commanded a military training academy in Pluckemin during the winter of 1778-79. The 1772 Dutch-Colonial home is the only surviving structure associated with the Pluckemin Artillery Cantonment, considered America’s first military training academy and a precursor to the United States Military Academy at West Point. Since 1998, The Friends of the Jacobus Vanderveer House have restored, developed and operated the Vanderveer property – significant in United States Revolutionary War military history – as a nationally important historic site and an educational and community resource. The Vanderveer House interprets Dutch colonial life in America as well as the stay by General Knox and his family during the 1778-79 encampment. A National and New Jersey Historic Site, the Jacobus Vanderveer House offers a vivid look into the history of our country and the lives of those founded it.