~No Fin No Shark No Future period.
Save Sharks Save The Oceans
Save Ourselves. For The Sharks
For The Oceans For The Future!!
~By the edge of the ocean
we can start over again....
I do not own this video, it was given to me for free for educational purposes only
and does not violate copyright laws. Thank you. ~Thank You for this infernalzen !!
~Fins Up For Sharks & Healthy Oceans!
Shark Finning entails the inhumane cruel practice of cutting off the fins of sharks while they're still alive and then tossing their bodies back into the water to either drown or be eaten by another predator as they sink down to the bottom of the ocean. This can be compared to cutting off the arms and legs of a land animal or human and subsequently leaving them to die a slow painful death secondary to being eaten alive by another animal or by blood loss.
Fishermen do this to save space on the boat for the valuable fins since the meat of the shark is worth much less and is thus wasted. Shark Finning is an incredibly wasteful and unsustainable practice. Less then 5% of the shark is used for their fins and the remaining 95% is carelessly left behind on the ocean floor. The fins are used to make shark fin soup, a wealthy person's delicacy that is primarily consumed in Asian communities worldwide and has no substantial value. Shark fin soup is currently sold in countless restaurants globally and right here in the United States!
Ecotourism such as shark diving brings in much more money and jobs than the short monetary gain that killing sharks for a bowl of tasteless worthless soup does. A live shark is worth much more than a dead one is.
Shark species are threatened with potential extinction since they are currently being fished out faster than they can reproduce. Sharks are like humans because they are slow to reach sexual maturity in order to reproduce. Sharks take at least 10 years to mature sexually. Some shark species can even require up to 25 years to reproduce and they have very few offspring.
The continued unsustainable practices of longline fishing and shark finning deplete shark populations much faster than their reproductive abilities can replenish their populations. This is why sharks are so vulnerable to overfishing and finning.
Shark specialists estimate that 100 million sharks are killed annually for their fins due to longline fishing and shark finning. 15,000 sharks are killed every hour! Experts estimate that within a decade, most species of sharks will be lost forever. Once they're gone there's no getting them back. Extinction is forever.
Sharks are a foundational keystone species that help control the delicate balance of the marine ecosystem by keeping populations of countless marine animals at stable and healthy levels. As apex predators sharks are the most important species in our oceans, because they keep the numbers and health of their prey in check. Without sharks, the numbers of their prey increase exponentially, resulting in their prey consuming their own prey to extinction since their populations are no longer kept under control by sharks. This has already happened on the U.S. East Coast when scallop and clam populations declined there because sharks were overfished.
Sharks also keep the oceans healthy because they always eat the slow, old and sick fish and consequently maintain a healthy gene pool. Thus the future health of our oceans depend on a stable and healthy shark population to maintain its amazing biodiversity.
Without sharks there will be a total collapse of fisheries and marine life around the world. The oceans are much more healthy with lots of sharks in them. Without sharks the oceans will not survive and neither will we. Sharks need us now more than ever, and we need them too. Protecting sharks protects the oceans and protects us all.
We should be afraid for sharks, not of them.
~Remember, when the buying stops the killing can too.
Here are some helpful links with more information regarding this critical issue: http://www.wildaid.org/inde... http://www.myspace.com/vide... http://www.sharkwater.com/e... http://www.sharkwater.com/