John Coltrane – Offering: Live at Temple University
Release Date: September 23, 2014
Recorded November 11, 1966
Mitten Hall, Temple University
Available as Deluxe 2-CD digi-pack or Deluxe 2-LP Limited Edition
pressing of 2,000: http://www.resonancerecords...
“A ninety-minute session of sustained intensity: experimental, frenzied at times, and deeply spiritual… Coltrane was pointing the way forward for generations of players to come, pushing the music to exhilarating, spiritual heights that caught most by surprise. In 1966, that wasn’t what jazz performances were about—not yet.”
– Ashley Kahn, jazz journalist & historian
Deluxe 2-CD Digi-Pack:
- 24 page booklet with extensive liner notes by jazz journalist & historian, Ashley Kahn
- Previously unpublished photographs by author & historian Frank Kofsky.
2-LP Limited Edition pressing of 2,000:
- 180-gram vinyl pressed on 12” LP’s at 33 1/3 RPM by Record Technology Incorporated (R.T.I.)
- Mastered by Bernie Grundman
- Special hand-numbered gatefold
- Contains postcards featuring previously unpublished photos of John Coltrane by author & historian, Frank Kofsky.
John Coltrane – soprano & tenor saxophones, flute & vocals
Pharoah Sanders – tenor saxophone & piccolo
Alice Coltrane – piano
Sonny Johnson – bass
Rashied Ali – drums
Additional musicians include:
Steve Knoblauch, Arnold Joyner – alto saxophone
Umar Ali, Algie DeWitt, Robert Kenyatta - percussion