In Search of My Identity, is a 77-minute documentary feature. This film is Director Pires' own personal journey of discovery into the history and relationship between the West Coast of Africa and the East Coast of the Americas particularly Brazil, Aruba, Cuba, Saint Vincent, Jamaica and the United States. Cape Verde, and its diverse multicultural peoples were situated within the context of a slave society and the slave trade.
In Search of My Identity
• Explores questions related to the Cape Verdean identity, race, religion, ethnicity, art, music, language and contemporaneous social issues.
• Refers back to the Portuguese colonial days of slavery and the Post-colonial African liberation movement in the Republic of Cape Verde, Guine Bissau, Senegal, and Ghana.
• Narrating stories while tracing the roots and presents a culture, as it has never been seen before. The film shows how life experiences and struggles create encounters between generations, cultures, and histories.
• Providing the audience with an understanding of this overlooked Creole cultures and how the Cape Verdean people for centuries have left their country to find a better life around the world.
• What was lost in the trans-Atlantic slave trade?
• How has Western Society been using economical power to recreate a new African identity?
• What is affecting the Black Community in US today?
• The birth of the Creole Language. How, where and when?
• Jews in Cape Verde and West African Coast.
Portuguese Kings Joao II and especially Manuel I in 1496, determined to exile thousands of Jews to Sao Tome, Principe, and Cape Verde. Up until the end of the 15th century Lisbon, Portugal was the place where the Spanish businessmen purchased their slaves.
Guenny Pires's personal quest to discover his true identity takes him on a journey across the Atlantic, building a cultural relationship from the West Coast of Africa to Western societies. What is my real identity?
In Search of My Identity is a Txan Film production that has been filming in 17 different countries.
Executive Producer: Jeremy C. Gredone, Guenny K. Pires & Txan Film
Writer, producer and director: Guenny K. Pires
Editing: Txan Film
Post-Production Supervisor: Jeremy C. Gredone
Music Supervisor: Djim Job
Mix (Color & BW)
Format: 16/9 HDTV