Video from the Emergency Town Hall meeting and the protest that occurred on the steps of City Hall that tea-baggers crashed. I was assaulted by a tea bagger who grabbed me and my camera and attempted to pull the telescopic lens off my camera while pushing me around. Another tea bagger rushed the stage and attempted to assault the protest speaker.
From Ray Hill: "Yes, I saw much of the attack (from a safe distance) KPFT's mike stand was broken and a microphone damaged the attacker was arrested and is subject to several assault charges and a damage civil case."
Texas Republicans are attempting to end the program that helps pay for expensive HIV medications. Currently, 14,000 Texans rely upon this program. Without taking HIV medication, every one of the 14,000 people will die. South Carolina Republicans already ended their HIV medication assistance program and Texas Republicans want to follow suit. Most insurance will not cover the total cost of HIV medication - which can cost more than what most make in an entire month.
- Over 14,000 Texans are currently enrolled in the Texas AIDS Drug Assistance Program (ADAP)
- Since it was started in 1987, it's served over 45,000 people.
- 20 million is needed to maintain the program as it stands today.
- Texas has a $9.4 billion "rainy day fund" that Texas Republicans could dip into to fun the ADAP program... but they don't want to do it.
- 43% of new ADAP applicants have ZERO income.
- 73% of new ADAP applicants are living at more than 100% of the Federal Poverty Level.
- Texas Republicans are working hard to shut down ADAP
WHAT YOU CAN DO:
- Rate, comment, share and mirror this video and the info about what can be done.
- Call the Texas Department of State Health Services and tell them to save the program: 1-800-255-1090.
- Send a fax a Texas Rep a letter telling them to FULLY FUND THE TEXAS HIV DRUG ASSISTANCE PROGRAM: http://tinyurl.com/FAXforHIV
- Get 5 friends to do the same!
- Join the Texas HIV Coalition on FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/hom...
Texas DSHS Press Release on the drug assistance program:http://www.dshs.state.tx.us...
Info on Texas ADAP Cut:http://www.dallasnews.com/h...http://www.dailytexanonline...
Info on South Carolina:
Lead-up to the cut...http://www.thebody.com/cont...
Transgender HIV info:http://www.cdc.gov/lgbtheal...