In this video, I show you how to make an authentic New Orleans Creole Seafood Gumbo! I cook my gumbo start to finish over the Blaze Kamado Charcoal Grill, giving it some delicious smoke flavor with pecan wood. using the Blaze 4 in 1 cooking plate. I'll show you how to make a homemade roux, this one is even gluten free!
Ingredients - Light Roux
Clarified Butter ¾ Cup
Bread Flour or King Arthur Gluten Free Blend ¾ Cup + 2 TB Dark Roux
Duck Fat or Clarified Butter 2 ¼ Cup
Bread Flour or King Arthur Gluten Free Blend 2 ¾ Cup + 2 TB
Yellow Onion Diced 3 Cups
Green Bell Pepper Diced 2 Each
Red Bell Pepper Diced 1 Each
Shallots Finely Diced ¼ Cup
Minced Celery 1 Cup
Minced Garlic ¼ Cup (About 12 Cloves)
Fresh Chopped Okra(Optional) 1 Lbs
Shrimp Stock 5 Cups
Clam Juice 2 Cups
Fresh Chopped Parsley 1 Bunch
Creole Seasoning Blend Powder 1 TB Plus To Taste
Old Bay Seasoning ½ tsp
Cayenne Pepper ¼ tsp Plus To Taste
Dry Thyme Leaves, Ground ½ tsp
Coarse Salt 1 TB Plus To Taste
Black Pepper 1 tsp Plus To Taste
White Pepper ¼ tsp
Oregano Dry 2 tsp
Green Onion Sliced ` 1 Bunch
Louisiana or Crystal Hot Sauce 2 tsp
Medium Shrimp, Peeled & Deveined 2 Lbs
Smoked Andouille (¼" Slices) ½ Lbs
Whole Crabs, Halved 6 Each
Crab Meat, Jumbo Lump 1 Lbs
Crab Meat, Regular Lump 2 Lbs
Water 8.5 Cups Plus To Adjust Thickness
White Rice, Cooked Long Grain 12 to 14 Cups, For Serving
Filé Powder (Optional) 2 TB (Whisked in right before serving)
- Light your Blaze Kamado, add soaked pecan wood chips for added smoky flavor.
- On middle grate, place Blaze 4 in 1 Stainless Steel Cooking Plate
- Place 9 quart cast iron pot on cooking plate, pour in clarified butter, gradually whisk in flour.
- Stir roux constantly for about 30 minutes, until the color of peanut butter is reached.
- Remove light roux from heat, set aside.
- Place pot back over heat, combine clarified butter and flour for dark roux.
- Stir roux for about 45 minutes, until it has reached the color of hot chocolate.
- Whisk light roux into dark roux until incorporated.
- Remove roux from heat, set aside.
- Clean your 9 quart cast iron pot, wipe with oil to prepare to brown andouille
- Place pot back on cooking plate, brown andouille sausage, then add in onion, bell pepper, and celery.
- Sauté until tender and reduced, season with kosher salt & black pepper.
- Add in diced shallots, and garlic. Sauté until fragrant.
- Pour in shrimp stock, followed by clam juice.
- Add dry seasonings
- Pour in water, leaving enough room for remaining ingredients in your pot.
- Add a few splashes of your favorite hot sauce.
- Grab blended roux, whisk gradually into gumbo base to incorporate.
- Add blue crabs to gumbo for last 10 minutes of boiling.
- Add sliced green onion & chopped parsley
- During last 3 minutes of boiling, add shrimp & lump crab meat.
- Allow gumbo to finish simmering
- Serve with rice, garnish plate with blue crab & chopped parsley
Cast iron pot: http://www.bbqguys.com/item...
Blaze 4 in 1 cooking plate: Coming Soon!
Pecan Wood Chips: http://www.bbqguys.com/item...