Q & A with author Mark Woods
Time & Productivity - http://attackyourday.com
First it's natural to lose focus and even get a little lazy throughout day as we lose our energy. A fast way to lose it, is to procrastinate, put off or dread doing tasks that we don't really want to do.
Every one of our thoughts, behaviors, and emotions has an energy consequence. As we lose energy, we lose motivation. Have you ever noticed when you fall behind on a project, feel overwhelmed and stress sets in, your energy is at its lowest?
Authors James Loehr and Tony Schwarts discuss in their book The Power of Full Engagement, that managing energy throughout the day is key to high performance and greater productivity. They go on to suggest that to maintain energy throughout the day we should think like a sprinter. You can cover a lot of ground in quick bursts, but you can't keep up that pace all day. So break your workday into 60-90 minute sprints punctuated by 15 minute breaks which serve to re-energize and vitalize your efforts.
Here are 5 things I do to keep focus and stay motivated through my day.
1. I plan my day in advance, I like to do it the night before to free my mind. Planning the night before helps me sleep better because I know exactly what I am going to do in the morning.
2. I Schedule the 3 most important tasks that I have to get done at a specific time of day. This gives me focus.
3. I block my time into 60-90 minute chucks followed by a 15 minute break to maintain my energy.
4. To keep focus on a task I eliminate distractions by closing my email program, shutting my office door and I put my phone on silent and out of reach.
5. I eat breakfast. Today many people skip it altogether but breakfast is the most important meal of the day, it prevents you from bottoming out too early.
How do you keep focused and motivated through the day? Tell us in the comments below.