York Downs Golf & Country Club has been in existence for over 90 years and has a long tradition of excellent golf and quality service to ...
York Downs Golf & Country Club has been in existence for over 90 years and has a long tradition of excellent golf and quality service to its members. York Downs was founded by Edward Cronyn in 1922 and was one of two prominent courses in Toronto, along with Toronto Golf Club in Mississauga. Designed by the Golf Course Architects, Cornish and Robinson and recently updated by Thomas McBroom, the first official match played at York Downs was an exhibition on May 6, 1923, featuring George S. Lyon, the Toronto Golf Club's Olympic Gold Medalist, George Cummings, Frank Thompson, Stanley Thompson's younger brother and Willie Freeman, the newly appointed Head Professional at York Downs. After this auspicious opening day the games would continue at the Bathurst and Sheppard property for forty-seven years, followed by its current location at 16th Avenue and Kennedy Road for over 40 years.