Ever wanted to visit a vibrant city that is both diverse in culture and rich in history? Well Derry~Londonderry is just the place for you, and this video is bursting with great things to do in and around this famous walled city where the Wild Atlantic Way meets the Causeway Coastal Route.
From fascinating museums focusing on the compelling history of the city, to guided art tours and one of the biggest Halloween festivals in the world, there’s no shortage of great things to do here!
For more information, visit www.visitderry.com
1. The famous walls of the city were built 400 years ago, when King James I required defences to keep the newly planted population safe from Irish rebels besieging the city. Over 6 metres high and at least as wide, these sturdy walls took only five years to be built.
2. The iconic Peace Bridge was introduced to the city in 2011, and has won numerous awards since. It is a vital link between the two sides of the River Foyle, and tends to be the centre point for major events in the city.
3. Derry~Londonderry is a city of murals. Take a walk around the city and you will be met by impactful art messages at every corner. Take a guided tour by the artists themselves, The Bogside Artists, and delve into the meaning behind these art pieces.
4. This walled city plays host to one of the biggest Halloween celebrations in Europe. Derry Halloween has been called the best Halloween festival in the world by USA today, and it’s easy to see why! http://derryhalloween.com/
5. The late poet Seamus Heaney’s life, literature and legacy can be explored at the Seamus Heaney HomePlace in Bellaghy, County Londonderry. A purpose-built arts and literary centre, Seamus Heaney HomePlace houses an interactive exhibition, arranged over two floors and filled with personal stories and artefacts, dozens of family photographs, video recordings from friends, neighbours, world leaders, cultural figures, and the voice of the poet himself.
6. The city has a superb food scene. To get the ultimate experience of this, don’t miss the LegenDerry Food Festival on each March! See the finest chefs perform live demonstrations, along with musical performances, street theatre and fun for all the family.