The original Darjeeling 'D' class Garratt was built by Beyer Peacock & Co Ltd at their Manchester works. The Garratt locomotive was delivered to the Darjeeling Himalayan Railway in 1911 and was put into service on the 30th of June. It was assigned by the DHR as Class ‘D’ and given the running number 31. The locomotive was thought to have carried the name ‘Highland Chief’ for a short period in the 1920s and was regularly seen working between Tindharia and Darjeeling. It finally earned its keep on the extension lines hauling loads of 200 tons, and was eventually scrapped in 1954.http://www.roundhouse-eng.com
This superb live steam model locomotive has been made by
Roundhouse Engineering Co. Ltd.
Units 6-10, Churchill Business Park
(for those with GPS - N 53° 32' 12" - W 01° 07' 30" .)
Tel: 01302 328035 (International ++44 1302 328035)
Fax: 01302 761312 (International ++44 1302 761312)