Nutella lovers, rejoice! With this simple trick, you’ll be serving up sweet American-style pancakes with a melt-in-the-middle chocolate centre. Utterly delicious. Full method below.
For the pancake batter:
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 pinch of salt
1 teaspoon white sugar
2 large eggs (beaten)
30 grams butter (melted and cooled)
300ml (1/2 pint) milk
225g (1 cup) plain flour
Butter for frying
For the oozy melted chocolate centre and toppings you'll need:
A jar of Nutella
1 packet of Strawberries
Start with the Nutella disks:
1. Line a baking tray with grease proof paper and spoon on to it individual heaped tablespoons of chocolate spread, smooshing around until they make thick circles that are about 6cm across. Pop them into the freezer to firm up for 30 minutes.
Now the batter:
2. Take a large mixing bowl and mix together all the dry ingredients, make a well in the middle of the mixture with your finger and crack the two eggs into the well. Add in the milk slowly (to avoid lumps) and mix together until smooth. Lots of people choose to chill the batter in the fridge for half an hour before they get frying.
Time to combine!
3. Heat a frying pan on the hob to a medium heat. Add a little butter to the pan and let it melt down, pour in enough batter to make the pancake (ours were about 10-15 cm wide). After a minute add a chilled Nutella disc and top it with a litter extra pancake batter.
4. A couple of minutes later, when the pancake surface begins to bubble and the underside looks cooked and browned, it's time to flip! Carry on frying until it's cooked through.
5. To serve, top with fresh strawberries and (why not?!) a little extra Nutella.