We are seeking to appoint three registrant members of our Council.
As part of this recruitment campaign, we spoke to current Registrant Council member Robert Templeton, who outlines what he thinks makes a good council member. He also gives an insight into the role and advice on those thinking about applying.
You can find out more about the role on our website at:
Social workers in England and Operating department practitioners must renew their HCPC registration between 1 September 2014 and 30 November 2014. For more information please see our website: http://www.hcpc-uk.org/renew
We define continuing professional development (CPD) as 'a range of learning activities through which health and care professionals maintain and develop throughout their career to ensure that they retain their capacity to practice safely, effectively and legally within their evolving scope of practice'. Put simply, CPD is the way professionals continue to learn and develop throughout their careers so they keep their skills and knowledge up to date and are able to work safely, legally and effectively.
Registrants must undertake CPD to stay registered with us.
We have set CPD standards which say registrants must:
1. maintain a continuous, up-to-date and accurate record of their CPD activities;
2. demonstrate that their CPD activities are a mixture of learning activities relevant to current or future practice;
3. seek to ensure that their CPD has contributed to the quality of their practice and service delivery;
4. seek to ensure that their CPD benefits the service user; and
5. upon request, present a written profile (which must be their own work and supported by evidence) explaining how they have met the standards for CPD.
Whenever a profession renews its registration, we randomly audit (check) the CPD of 2.5 per cent of professionals from that profession. Those registrants who are chosen for audit must submit a CPD profile to show how their CPD meets our standards.