For more than a century, Florida Hospital's roots have extended deep into Central Florida's colorful history. It all began in 1908, when a small group of Seventh Day Adventists in Orlando had the vision to bring health and healing to this once rural community.
The leaders of the Adventist church put their boundless faith and limited funds into building their first healthcare facility in the region.
The plans for the sanitarium mirrored those of its sister facility in Battle Creek, Michigan, which emphasized health, wellness and exercise. The goal was to create a similar sanitarium in Florida to serve those clients who wintered in the warmer climate there.
Originally the land that Florida Hospital's main campus stands on today had a farmhouse on it that an Orlando surgeon had converted into a facility for treating patients with tuberculosis. It was for sale, but the Adventist group only had $4.93 in the bank. Relying on commitment and prayer, a member of the group sold his own house to raise enough money to purchase the property. The offer of $9,000 was accepted and the roots of a new era in Central Florida healthcare began.
In October 1908, the Florida Sanitarium and Benevolent Association officially opened its doors with just four patients, a couple of employees and one doctor. A century later, this same institution has grown to become Florida Hospital, with 2,188 beds, seven locations, 2,000 physicians and more than 15,000 employees.
Throughout our history, our pioneering spirit has never waned—nor has our mission of extending the healing ministry of Christ. What began as a journey toward spiritual and physical health for a grateful few, is today a promise of healing -- mind, body and spirit -- to millions of people here in Central Florida and worldwide. People, just like you.