Our group from Singles in Paradise traveled to Nepal and Tibet in November 2014. This video shows the Potala Palace and the Jokhang Temple in Tibet.
Go to http://www.singlesinparadis...
for a listing of our current trips.
The Potala palace is perched on the top of the Red Hill and dominates the skyline of Lhasa. The palace can be divided into two sections, the White Palace and the Red Palace. It was built by Songtsen Gampo in the 7th century and used it as his centre of meditation. It was however in 1645 under the fifth Dalai Lama, Lozang Gyatso, that the palace took a massive shape as the white palace became complete. The construction of the Red Palace began in 1690 and was completed within a span of 4 years. It was the residence of the Dalai Lamas, until the 14th Dalai Lama escaped to India in 1959. Today the palace serves as a state museum of China. The palace has vast inward-sloping walls and has many windows and its roofs are flat at various levels. The central part of this group of buildings is quadrangular. This towering central portion of Potala is called the Red palace. It contains the principal halls and chapels and shrines of past Dalai Lamas. It still holds items like murals, Holy Scriptures and sutras that are invaluable to Buddhism. Today the Potala Palace is a UNESCO World Heritage site and is one of the most visited structures in the world.
The Jokhang Temple is the most revered Buddhist temple in Lhasa and of Tibet, built by King Songtsen Gampo in about 642 AD. This temple is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and was originally called, Rasa Tulnang Tsuklakang (House of Mysteries). In the 11th century a learned Buddhist monk named Atisha, taught here and it was after that, that the Jokhang temple got recognition. Today the temple covers an area of about 25,000 sq. ft. The Jokhang temple is a four storied structure. The style is basically Indian in its approach but has been well blended with Nepalese and well as Tibetan influences. The roofs of the temple are gilded with bronze. The rooftop has statues of two golden deer surrounding a Dharma wheel.