The European Conservatives and Reformists group was created in 2009 to campaign for urgent reform of the European Union. We want to see a more practical approach to what Europe should do. www.ecrgroup.eu
The ECR Group consists of over 70 MEPs from 17 European countries and it is now the third largest in the European Parliament after the EPP and Socialist groups. We also have one European Commissioner in the ECR family (Jonathan Hill), and two Prime Ministers (David Cameron and Beata Szydlo), and our parties are in government in five EU countries.
Our MEPs come from these countries and parties*:
The Prague Declaration sets out the core principles of the European Conservatives and Reformists Group
Conscious of the urgent need to reform the EU on the basis of Eurorealism, Openness, Accountability and Democracy, in a way that respects the sovereignty of our nations and concentrates on economic recovery, growth and competitiveness, the European Conservatives and Reformists Group shares the following principles:
- Free enterprise, free and fair trade and competition, minimal regulation, lower taxation, and small government as the ultimate catalysts for individual freedom and personal and national prosperity.
- Freedom of the individual, more personal responsibility and greater democratic accountability.
- Sustainable, clean energy supply with an emphasis on energy security.
- The importance of the family as the bedrock of society.
- The sovereign integrity of the nation state, opposition to EU federalism and a renewed respect for true subsidiarity.
- The overriding value of the transatlantic security relationship in a revitalised NATO, and support for young democracies across Europe.
- Effectively controlled immigration and an end to abuse of asylum procedures.
- Efficient and modern public services and sensitivity to the needs of both rural and urban communities.
- An end to waste and excessive bureaucracy and a commitment to greater transparency and probity in the EU institutions and use of EU funds.
- Respect and equitable treatment for all EU countries, new and old, large and small.
*Other EU Member States where we hope to attract MEPs in the future are: Austria, Cyprus, Estonia, France, Hungary, Italy, Luxembourg, Malta, Portugal, Romania, Slovenia, Spain and Sweden.