Having surgery can be stressful, but it doesn't have to be if you are thoroughly prepared. Here at Aesthetic Enhancements, our goal is to make your surgical experience as worry-free as possible. So we've put together a few tips to help make your recovery period safe, smooth and relaxing.
1. Refrain from certain medications. Prior to surgery, you will be provided with a list of medications and supplements that we ask that you stop taking two weeks before and two weeks after your surgery. This will ensure you minimize your surgical risks. We also offer a supplement kit that has been proven to help reduce your recovery and healing time.
2. Stop smoking. This one is a non-negotionable. Nicotine greatly increases the risks of complications after surgery. This means no cigarettes, nicotine gum or patches before or after your procedure. Dr. Soto wants all of his patients to have safe surgical experiences with beautiful long-lasting results.
3. Obtain any required Pre-Operative Clearance. Depending on your surgery, health history and other factors, Dr. Soto may ask that you have certain pre-operative testing completed prior to your surgery date. Sometimes it may take a week or longer to get an appointment for these tests with your primary care physician, so be sure to plan ahead!
4. Arrange for a caregiver. After your surgery you must have a responsible adult (someone over the age of 18), to care for you. The first 24 hours are the most critical to have someone by your side, but don't underestimate how comforting it will be to have someone run to the kitchen for a cool glass of water when you are still feeling sore a few days out. Don't forget about care for your children and pets. You won't be able to walk your dog the day after your tummy tuck or carry in your groceries after your breast augmentation -- nor should you! Make sure you have someone to assist you with various household tasks. If you do not have someone to help care for you, please contact our office for more information on compassionate caretakers that our patients have utilized in the past.
5. Ask for time off from work. Some employers ask for specific forms that must be filled out by your physician. We ask that you allow for 1 business week in order for our office to thoroughly tend to any paperwork your employer may request from us.
6. Fill your prescriptions. On the day of your surgery, be sure to bring all of your prescriptions with you to ensure a more comfortable recovery day.
7. Buy some pre-made meals. Remember to have soups, frozen dinners, and take out dinners on hand. They may be lifesavers when you are just not up to preparing a meal after surgery. Gatorade, fruit juices and other sports drinks are also great to have stocked up.
8. Schedule your routine beauty appointments early. Recovering from your surgery will be your top priority, so make sure if you regularly get your nails and hair done that you schedule your visits prior to your surgery. You will feel much better if you know that your normal beauty regimen is still on track and under control.
9. Prepare your surgery day outfit. This may sound silly, but having a comfortable, loose fitting outfit for surgery day can make things much more comfortable. Remember to stay away from light colored clothing, as there is a chance that they may become stained. A loose fitting dress or sweatpants with a zip up jacket works great for surgery day!
10. Purchase extra surgical garments. We recommend purchasing any extra garments that you might need prior to your surgery date. You will need to stay in some garments up to 6 weeks. You may want to have an extra available for the times when you are laundering your garments. Some may need to be specially ordered, so allow for that extra time.
Dr. Soto and the team at Aesthetic Enhancements look forward to helping you look and feel your very best. Call our office today at 407.218.4550 and let us know how we can make your surgical experience as seamless as possible. www.drarmandosoto.com