Snuffle mats are great for providing mental stimulation and focusing the mind of your pooch. They can be used in place of a food dish and are an excellent boredom buster.
Try making your very own, we guarantee your pup will be just as excited as the adorable Tyson!
1) Where do you get the rubber mat? We got ours from The Home Depot, but many hardware stores carry them. The one we used was called an Antifatigue Rubber Mat, and came in a square with nine pieces that we cut apart. Some hardware stores may also carry large rolls of this material, and will cut it to size. You can really make them as large or small as you like.
2) Won’t my dog just eat it/tear it apart? If you have a dog that eats blankets or soft toys, do not leave the snuffle mat out all the time. Use it just for brief moments of enrichment, or in place of a food bowl at meal time. Like with all games and toys, dogs should be supervised. Once your dog has found all the food or treats you should remove the mat. This should help eliminate the potential for your dog to pee on the mat or eat the mat.
3) What is the purpose? The idea of the snuffle mat is to place the dog’s kibble, or a few treats as a bonus, in the mat for them to find. This provides mental stimulation and enrichment as they try to find the food, and encourages them to use their nose. It also forces the dog to slow down while eating their food.
4) How do you wash it? We suggest hand washing your snuffle mat and laying or hanging it out to air dry,
5) Can I use the snuffle mat with other animals? Yes! All animals can use the snuffle mat, and could benefit from it.
Bonus tip: The longer the fleece strips the harder the puzzle is for your dog. Try shorter strips first and work your way up.
Join the conversation on: