David and I almost shit ourselves when we took a good look at the beef lips we had brought home from the meat market. This is honestly the scariest looking food weve ever seen — even more so because it comes from a cow rather than some other crazy reptile/bird/fish thing where you would expect slime and spikes. Once we toughened up, there was a huge pay off in terms of yumminess. The meat was absolutely delicious and flavourful! I realize it is extremely unlikely that most people will have access to cow lips — but in case you run into it, here is how we prepared it: * 3 lb beef lips, cut in fairly large sections * 3 oranges, peeled, and pith removed but left whole * a generous handful of dried pequin peppers (again if you cant find them that really sucks for you but probably any hot pepper would work) * 1 bay leaf * 1 1/2 tsp cumin * 1 tsp dry oregano * 1 head garlic, cloves peeled but left whole * 1 white onion, peeled, roughly chopped * cracked pepper * 1 tbsp kosher salt * 4 cups beef stock * water to cover 1. Rinse off the beef lips and try to keep yourself from screaming.
2. Place in a large casserole with the remaining ingredients.
3. Add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat, and braise on low for 6 hours.
4. Remove the meat from the braising liquid, cut/peel off any gross hard bits and excess fat.
5. Shred the meat.
6. Heat a dry cast iron skillet over medium and add the meat.
7. Fry until nicely browned.