Public Square, then known as the Mall, came into existence in 1805 when Hart and Isaiah Massey, Henry Coffeen, Zachariah Butterfield, Jon...
Public Square, then known as the Mall, came into existence in 1805 when Hart and Isaiah Massey, Henry Coffeen, Zachariah Butterfield, Jonathan Cowan, Jesse Doolittle, Aaron Keyes, and Medad Canfield, with surprising foresight, deeded the land for public use. These men, mostly of New England origin, thought of the Mall as a common such as those that graced many New England villages. This helped to enhance the development of a business center by creating an area around which businesses could locate. Following the 1849 fire, most of Public Square was replaced with heavy masonry construction. The parks at the center of the square were laid out in 1853 with a fountain at the center and an oval at each end.