Over the years we've had a few different names. In 1958 we were originally founded as the Department of Overseas Administrative Studies, initially to provide training to the new generation of post-colonial administrators from newly independent South East Asia countries.
By the late 1960s we began to offer an official Postgraduate Diploma in Development Administration with a master's programme launching in the mid-1980s.
In 1986 when we became known as the Institute for Development Policy and Management (IDPM) and began accepting PhD candidates.
The Brooks World Poverty Institute (BWPI) was established in 2005 with the support of the Rory and Elizabeth Brooks Foundation to focus on large research projects.
In 2016, IDPM and BWPI joined forces to become the Global Development Institute, acknowledging the rapidly shifting landscape of development. We're now Europe's largest teaching and research institute focused on poverty and inequality, home to over 50 academics, with 95 PhD candidates and 630 master's students.