These short powerful animated films have been developed by the Royal College of Midwives (RCM) in collaboration with The Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists (RCOG), The Royal College of General Practitioners (RCGP), Survivors of Female Genital Mutilation (FGM), NGOs and a variety of local community partners. They are aimed at creating awareness around the health and physiological consequences of FGM and cut through much of the inaccurate and misleading information circulating in the public sphere about FGM.
We worked closely with FGM survivors to ensure the authenticity of the stories being told via the animations and remained true to the realities of FGM and its psychological impact.
The animated films will be available in:
Importantly, each of the FGM animations ends with a ‘call to action’ on each UK Government and includes the following:
- develop, implement, monitor and evaluate a National FGM Action Plan with the goal of ending FGM in the UK by 2030. This Plan will include:
- providing accessible specialist health and psychological care and support services in community settings for FGM survivors of all age groups
- a commitment by all government agencies to end FGM, support survivors of and share information to keep women and girls safe
- a commitment by all governments to run evidence-based public awareness campaign, in partnership with survivors to change hearts and minds, through education for young people and dialogue with families and influential leaders in practising communities
- education and training for the children's workforce in their role and responsibilities for safeguarding girls and young women
If you have been affected by the content of this video, please get in touch with one of the following organisations:
For more information or comments please contact
© Use freely with Credit to the Authors.
Welcome to use for Educational purposes. Not for commercial Use
Authors: Royal College of Midwives @MidwivesRCM @Dahliaproject1