Are you looking for a job?
If you're watching this video, you're part of a small percentage of people that care about the values and principles of their employer; this is a well known success factor in employee performance and tenure.
However, you're competing with many others that apply in bulk for the same position; so how do you capitalize on your time investment? Be proactive! when applying And during interviews, be sure to let recruiters and hiring managers know that you watched this!
1. Customer obsession: start with the customer and work backwards; work vigorously to earn and keep customer trust; pay attention to competitors, but keep obsessing over customers
2. Ownership: think like an owner, long term and don’t sacrifice long-term value for short-term results; act on behalf of the entire company, not just for your own team; never say “that’s not my job"
3. Invent and simplify: expect and require innovation and invention from your team and always find ways to simplify; be externally aware, always look for new ideas from everywhere, and don’t be limited by “not invented here"
4. Leaders are right a lot 1:52 : you have strong judgment and good instincts; you seek diverse perspectives and work to disconfirm your beliefs
5. Frugality 3:50 : accomplish more with less. Constraints breed resourcefulness, self-sufficiency and invention. There are no extra points for growing headcount, budget size or fixed expense
6. Hire and develop the best 5:01 : raise the performance bar with every hire and promotion; recognize exceptional talent, and willingly move them throughout the organization; develop leaders and take seriously your role in coaching others
7. Earn trust 5:05 : listen attentively, speak candidly, and treat others respectfully. Be vocally self-critical, even when doing so is awkward or embarrassing; leaders do not believe their or their team’s body odor smells of perfume; benchmark yourself and your team against the best.
8. Insist on the highest standards 7:42 : you have relentlessly high standards - many may think these standards are unreasonably high; you are continually raising the bar and driving your team to deliver high quality products, services and processes; defects do not get sent down the line and problems are fixed so they stay fixed
9. Bias for action 11:34 : speed matters in business. Many decisions and actions are reversible and do not need extensive study. We value calculated risk taking.
10. Learn and be curious 11:34 : you are never done learning and you always seek to improve; you are curious about new possibilities and act to explore them
11. Have backbone. Disagree and commit 13:26 : respectfully challenge decisions when you disagree, even when doing so is uncomfortable or exhausting; have conviction and be tenacious; do not compromise for the sake of social cohesion; once a decision is determined, commit to it.
12. Dive deep 13:26 : operate at all levels, stay connected to the details, audit frequently, and be skeptical when metrics and anecdote differ. No task is beneath you.
13. Think big 16:04 : thinking small is a self-fulfilling prophecy. Create and communicate a bold direction that inspires results. Think differently and look around corners for ways to serve customers.
14. Deliver results 16:04 : focus on the key inputs for your business and deliver with the right quality and in a timely fashion; despite setbacks, rise to the occasion and never settle