When Love Gets Violent
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Oct 2, 2010
http://lacigreen.tv for more!
The 911 caller and her mother are safe, the abuser received 3 years probation and some jail time. (Lisa, San Diego) --Many are not so "lucky"... :(
Lizzy is not the caller, Lizzy was a young woman in my life killed by her boyfriend.
Thank you to Jason Shaw at http://www.audionautix.com for the music!
All information in this video was provided by the Domestic Violence Law Casebook (3rd Edition) by Nancy Lemon as well as personal experience and my crisis counselor training booklet.
DOMESTIC VIOLENCE 101 & RESOURCES:
find shelters and resources by STATE! - http://www.letswrap.com/usadv/
basic DV facts - http://bit.ly/bkSgiS
DV statistics- http://new.abanet.org/domesticviolenc...
general info - http://www.domesticviolence.org
national org - http://www.ncadv.org/
overview of treatment & prevention - http://www.helpguide.org/mental/domes...
recognizing abuse: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dome...
examples of all types of abuse: http://www.hiddenhurt.co.uk/Abuser/wh...
why do women stay? -
ending violence against immigrant women - http://www.immigrantwomennetwork.org/
ending violence against men - http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dome...
anti-domestic violence forces in US govt http://www.ovw.usdoj.gov/
unicef publication - http://bit.ly/dy7hUd
power and control wheel - http://www.hiddenhurt.co.uk/Abuser/wh...
cycle of violence - http://www.domesticviolence.org/cycle...
CONVERSING WITH/COACHING A SURVIVOR:
-What would you like to see happen right now?
-How do you feel about all of this?
-What do you think he/she will do next?
-How can I help you feel more safe?
(**Ask broad questions - avoid yes/no)
-You don't deserve this. Nobody does.
-I want to support you in every way I can, but you have to tell me how.
-I feel really awful that this is happening to you.
-No matter what, I'm going to be here. You always have me.
-My #1 concern right now is your safety.
-I can't imagine how much you must be dealing with right now.
DOMESTIC VIOLENCE IN THE NEWS
October is DV Awareness Month:
Whole Foods launches Twitter Campaign to support Domestic Violence Survivor Advocates:
Violence Against Women Act turns 16!
New PBS Documentary on Domestic Violence:"
Detroit March Against DV:
San Diego Rally for Slain Woman:
Domestic violence - 1−800−799−SAFE(7233) orTTY 1−800−787−3224.
Rape, abuse, and incest national network - 1-800-656-HOPE
HOW TO BECOME A COUNSELOR
Look up a crisis center, shelter, or family justice center closest to where you live (you might also have luck with family law firms that specialize in family violence). Note that these are typically in BIG cities, and those in outskirts may not be able to help in this way. However, by contacting the crisis center, you can learn what needs they have for your area.
Ask the center how to become a crisis counselor. Some states (definitely CA) require a certification, some require a 70 hour training, etc. They can direct you.
OTHER WAYS TO END VIOLENCE:
-Educate others about healthy relationships and resources
-Spread awareness on Facebook, Twitter, Myspace, and other social networking platforms. These are POWERFUL!
-Get involved at your local advocacy unit or a crisis hotline.
-Report violence when you see it, hear it, OR SUSPECT IT.
-Vote in legislators who are educated about relationship violence
-Donate money to national or local advocacy units, they are always fighting for funds.
-Make a video about it
-Start a campaign in your community, at your school, or workplace taking a stand against domestic violence
Standard YouTube License
- 4:37 She's UGLY.by lacigreenFeatured 254,624
- 4:18 ONLINE DATING!!by lacigreen 131,698 views
- 3:56 SQUIRTINGby lacigreen 616,473 views
- 4:13 MAKEUP MADNESSby lacigreen 104,244 views
- 3:24 THE PREGNANCY SCARE!by lacigreen 172,909 views
- 72 videos Play all violenceby HellsSexyPrincess
- 2:59 Lisa's 911 callby RyuzakiKun23 218,130 views
- Domestic violence 35,345 videos22
- 4:00 "OMG" - 12 Year Olds Aren't SEXYby lacigreen 377,887 views
- 2:37 Does Size Matter?by lacigreen 417,146 views
- 3:54 FOREVER ALONE?!by lacigreen 163,637 views
- 3:44 ASIANS IN THE LIBRARY - RACIST RANTby lacigreen 158,987 views
- 3:52 FAKING ITby lacigreen 153,999 views
- 2:01 Hickey Fix!?by lacigreen 199,485 views
- 4:43 50 Shades of WTFby lacigreen 304,390 views
- 2:29 PUBIC HAIR!!!1!by lacigreen 500,062 views
- 3:33 LACIGREEN FAQ... :Dby lacigreen 143,106 views
- 3:19 Does Size Matter? (b00bies version)by lacigreen 224,469 views
- 3:13 LIKE A VIRGINby lacigreen 169,330 views
- 2:31 What I've Learned From Sexy Nursesby lacigreen 168,218 views
- 6:28 Reaction To Women Abusing Men In Publicby Clotheslinemedia 1,355,393 views
- 2:06 FREE THE PUBES!by lacigreen 262,236 views
- Loading more suggestions...