Archbishop Justin has prayed for Christian unity and told church leaders that "we need to be a risk-taking church".
The Archbishop was speaking this morning before an audience of more than 5,000 Christians on the first day of HTB's annual leadership conference.
"We need to be a risk-taking Church. There is no safety in Christ - there is absolute security, but there is no safety," he said during a question and answer session with the Rev Nicky Gumbel, vicar of HTB.
Archbishop Justin said he was more hopeful than ever for the future of the church as it "fills in" the gaps left by the state following the global financial crisis.
Referring to the food banks being run by the Diocese of Durham he said: "It is a great opportunity to demonstrate the love of Christ. I am more optimistic about the Church now than I have ever been in my life."
For the first time in 70 years, he added, people are realising that "Christ meets the needs of the world".
But he warned the audience, composed of leaders from Anglican, Roman Catholic, Orthodox, Methodist, Baptist, Presbyterian and Pentecostal churches, against the dangers of fighting each other.
"We cannot live for our cause to win, we have to live for His cause to win," he said, adding that "very often the biggest wounds we experience will come from other Christians".
- The Spirit of Pentecost: a short film
- "We need to be a risk-taking church": Archbishop speaks to Nicky Gumbel
- Archbishop Justin gives an impromtu homily at Lambeth Palace
- Archbishop's New Year Message 2013
- Archbishop's message for Us - the United Society
- Women Bishops: Enough Waiting -- Sam Follett's message to General Synod
- Women Bishops: Enough Waiting - Jan McFarlane's message to General Synod
- Bishop Justin Welby's opening statement at Lambeth Palace, 9 November 2012
- Steven Croft - Women Bishops: Enough Waiting
- John Inge - Women Bishops: Enough Waiting
- Mark Russell - Women Bishops - Enough Waiting
- Pete Broadbent - Women Bishops: Enough Waiting
View all30+ items
- The Archbishop of Canterbury on the Royal Wedding
- Dialogue with Richard Dawkins, Rowan Williams and Anthony Kenny
- Hope for Creation - The Archbishop's Advent Message 2009
- A message from the Archbishop of Canterbury on the Anglican Communion Covenant
- Archbishops' reflections on the slave pits in Zanzibar
- The Feast of St Nicholas
- Archbishop - care for environment teaches us about God
- The Archbishop of Canterbury on The Queen's Diamond Jubilee
- Archbishop's Reflections on Lambeth Conference 2008
- Archbishop's Reflections on Lent
- Archbishop's Reflections on Pentecost
View all30+ items