Johann Nepomuk David (1895-1977), austrian composer.
String Trio No. 3 in G-Major , op. 33 (1948)
Trio Nr. 3, op. 33 - G-dur, - Giuseppe Guarneri del Gesu in memoriam (1948)
-- DAS DEUTSCHE STREICHTRIO -- The german String Trio :
Hans Kalafusz : Violin, Christian Hedrich : Viola, Reiner Ginzel - Cello (Violoncello).
...recorded from rare Stereo LP made in germany, 1985...
J.N.David has created numerous choral, organ and orchestral works, he was the teacher of many famous composers and performers, including Hans Stadlmair, Helmut Lachenmann, Ruth Zechlin and Hans Georg Bertram.
He began his musical career in the monastery of Sankt Florian, and was a composition student of Joseph Marx.
David wrote a number of orchestral works including eight symphonies (of which the fifth has been recorded, as have some other works including a disc of organ music,) several concertos including an organ concerto and three violin concertos, instrumental works including many for or with organ, and many choral works. His general style changed from the modal tendencies seen in his first two symphonies to the more acerbic though still tonal sound of the later ones.
His son, Thomas Christian David (1925--2006), was also a composer.
Johann Nepomuk David from 1906 to 1909 was a choirboy at the Augustinian Abbey of St. Florian and from 1909 to 1912 students at the Gymnasium of the Benedictine monastery Kremsmünster. From 1912 to 1915 he studied at the (Catholic) Bishop's teacher training institute in Linz. From 1915 to 1920, he was an elementary school teacher in St. Churches (Innkreis), from 1920 to 1924 primary school teachers in Waizenkirchen.
After that he studied from 1921 to 1922 at the Music Academy and the University in Vienna with Joseph Marx and Guido Adler
and had personal contact with Josef Matthias Hauer and Arnold Schoenberg.
From 1922 to 1924 he was the musical director of the Linz "art center" hold. From January 1925 to autumn 1934, he was a teacher at the Catholic elementary school from 1926 to 1934 he headed there he founded the Bach Choir and from 1930 to 1934 he was organist at Christ Lutheran Church Wels. From November 1934 to January 1945 he was a teacher of theory and composition and director of choirs at the State Conservatory (Academy of Music since 1941) in Leipzig. In 1942 he was appointed as Acting Director of this institute.
The really apolitical David, who was also no Nazi organization, composed in the era of National Socialism almost only absolute music (chamber music, symphonies, orchestral works), or sacred music (organ music, motets). Less clear is the seventh most November 1942, first performed in Leipzig, but unpublished "Heroes ceremony / motet for a leader Adolf Hitler's word / 4stimmigen for mixed chorus and three trombones [...] / The dead students and teachers / Staatl. Music Academy in Leipzig to commemorate "the following text:" Who keeps faith with his people so that should never even be forgotten in faithfulness ".
After the heavy bombing raid on Leipzig on 3 / 4 December 1943, David led from April 1944 to the evacuation of the Academy of Music to Crimmitschau in Saxony, where could be maintained up to the final exams in August 1944 under difficult circumstances, the trial operation. In August 1944 he was inducted into the so-called God-gifted list of the most important composers, which saved him from a war effort, even on the home front.
Over 100(!!) original handwritten compositions was getting lost/burned 1946 because of the heavy bombing raid on Leipzig .
From 1945 to 1947, David was a professor of composition, the choir director and acting director of the Salzburg Mozarteum. From 1948 to 1963 he was professor of theory and counterpoint (composition) at the State Academy of Music and Performing Arts in Stuttgart. From 1949 to 1952 he was conductor of the Stuttgart Bruckner Choir and conductor of the 1950-1953 High School Chamber Orchestra, with which he among others to a highly publicized guest concert in Paris. With these two ensembles also brought David performed contemporary compositions, which are documented by recordings and productions of the South German Radio in Stuttgart.