" STOMPIN' AT THE SAVOY "
Chick Webb's Savoy Orchestra
Mario Bauza, Reunauld Jones, Taft Jordan (trumpet)
Sandy Williams (trombone)
Pete Clark, Edgar Sampson (alto sax , clarinet)
Elmer Williams (tenor sax)
Joe Steele (piano)
John Trueheart (banjo,guitar)
John Kirby (bass)
Chick Webb (drums, leader)
Edgar Sampson (arr)
recorded in May 18, 1934
Columbia 2926D mx.W152740=2
The Savoy Ballroom, located in Harlem, New York City, was a medium sized ballroom for music and public dancing that was in operation from March 12, 1926 to July 10, 1958.
It was located between 140th and 141st Streets on Lenox Avenue.
The Savoy was a popular dance venue from the late 1920s to the 1950s and many dances such as Lindy Hop became famous here. It was known downtown as the "Home of Happy Feet" but uptown, in Harlem, as "the Track". Unlike the 'whites only' policy of the Cotton Club, the Savoy Ballroom was integrated where white and black Americans danced together. Virtuosic dancers, however, excluded others from the northeast corner of the dance floor, now referred to as the "Cat's Corner," a term not used at the time.
Chick Webb was the leader of the best known Savoy house band during the mid-1930s.