FEMA Accessible: Renters May be Eligible for Federal Help





The interactive transcript could not be loaded.


Rating is available when the video has been rented.
This feature is not available right now. Please try again later.
Published on Jul 17, 2017

FEMA video explaining how renters may be able to get federal help after a disaster in American Sign Language (ASL).

Closed captioning available in English, Chinese, German, Hindi, Italian, Khmer, Korean, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Tagalog, Thai, and Vietnamese.


Renters with Disaster Damage or Loss May Be Eligible for Federal Help

Renters who experienced losses from federally declared disasters may be able to get disaster recovery assistance from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and the U.S Small Business Administration (SBA).

Survivors may be able to get grants from FEMA to help with such disaster-related expenses such as:

• Renting a new place to live when their previous home was lost due to the disaster.
• Disaster-related medical and dental expenses.
• Replacement or repair of necessary personal property lost or damaged in the disaster, such as A microwave, refrigerator, couch, bed, textbooks and computers used by students, and work equipment or tools used by the self-employed.
• Repair or replacement of vehicles damaged by the disaster.
• Disaster-related funeral and burial expenses.

FEMA grants are not loans and do not have to be paid back. FEMA grants are not taxable, and will not impact the benefits you may receive from Social Security, Medicaid, welfare assistance, Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), or any other programs you may get benefits from.

Renters who sustained losses can:

• Call 800-621-3362. 711 or Video Relay Services users may call 800-621-3362. TTY users may call FEMA directly at 800-462-7585. Go online at www.DisasterAssistance.gov.
• Use the FEMA app for smartphones.
• Renters also can register with FEMA at a disaster recovery center. To find the nearest disaster recovery center, visit www.fema.gov/DRC.

The U.S. Small Business Administration offers low-interest disaster loans to businesses of all sizes, most private nonprofit organizations, homeowners and renters.

Renters may be able to get an SBA low-interest disaster loan for up to $40,000 to help repair or replace disaster damaged personal property.

For more information about disaster loans, call SBA’s Disaster Assistance Customer Service Center at 800-659-2955. 711 or Video Relay Services users may call 800-659-2955. TTY users may call 800-877-8339, email disastercustomerservice@sba.gov, or visit sba.gov/disaster. Applicants may also apply online using the Electronic Loan Application via SBA’s secure website at disasterloan.sba.gov/ela.

We are committed to making sure people with disabilities or others with access and functional needs get services and assistance. When registering with FEMA, you should let them know you have a reasonable accommodation request.

*Published July 17, 2017*

Comments are disabled for this video.
to add this to Watch Later

Add to

Loading playlists...