homemade rain barrel





Rating is available when the video has been rented.
This feature is not available right now. Please try again later.
Published on May 11, 2009

My husband and I made a rain barrel out of a 44 gal. trash bin and some other parts from Home Depot. This is the first time it rained since we made it. Looks like it works!

It's virtually mosquito proof because I used wire mesh from a broken window screen on the water entrance and I sealed all the pieces to the barrel with caulk. This also makes it watertight.

The water entrance is made of a large PVC reducing coupling with wire mesh secured with a hose clamp to keep out bugs and debris.

The overflow valve at the top directs excess water away from our foundation, toward a bush. For our overflow hose we used a 6' long pool hose and connected it to the barrel with a 2-1/2" plastic barbed male fitting. However, we couldn't find a locknut big enough for the fitting, so we used an adjustable rubber coupling to secure the fitting on the inside of the barrel. This works great. I felt it was important to have a wide hose for heavy downpours during which the water level would rise rapidly.

At the bottom of the barrel, we secured a 1/2" plastic hose bib with plumber's tape, a washer (the only washer we could find that was big enough was from the electrical department), and on the inside, a #14 rubber O ring, and a nut (also from the electrical department).

I stacked 6 cinder blocks to put the barrel on so that we would have room to put a watering can or bucket underneath.

And we replaced part of the drainpipe with a flexible drainpipe.


When autoplay is enabled, a suggested video will automatically play next.

Up next

to add this to Watch Later

Add to

Loading playlists...