Rating is available when the video has been rented.
This feature is not available right now. Please try again later.
Published on May 4, 2009
Novorossiysk Chimes (The Flame of Eternal Glory) (Opus 111b) was written by Dmitri Shostakovich in 1960 for the war memorial in the city of Novorossiysk. The piece consists in large part of material Shostakovich had originally written in 1943 as an entry in a contest to compose a new national anthem for the U.S.S.R..
Novorossiysk Chimes has been playing nonstop at Heroes Square in Novorossiysk since its opening on September 27, 1960. The song's opening phrases have also been used as introductory music for Moscow Radio's late-night news program