Woodturning Two Bowls, One Disaster, Two Final Results





The interactive transcript could not be loaded.


Rating is available when the video has been rented.
This feature is not available right now. Please try again later.
Published on Aug 24, 2018


I'm extremely disappointed (to say the least) when a bowl cracks. It's bad enough if it cracks while drying. But it is even worse if it cracks while I'm working on it. In this case, it cracked during sanding.

In my period of dispair, I turned another identical bowl from the same sequoia. I had time to think about the broken bowl. After weighing alternatives, I decided to cut it up to make flower petals then reassemble it into a flower bowl.

After cutting the bowl into five petals, I temporarily screwed each petal to a cylinder base while I dabbed quick epoxy into the middle. After three applications, the petals were secure and I removed the screws. What them remained was to turn and fit a center to cover the epoxy and a new base to cover the ugly poplar I used for the glue up.

Both bowls are about 8 inches in diameter of sequoia and padauk. The solid bowl is finished with walnut oil. The flower bowl is finished with rattle can lacquer.


Blog: http://www.AsWoodTurns.com
FB: http://www.Facebook.com/AsWoodTurns
Music: Traumerei by Shumann performed by Becky Schlappi. Used with permission.


When autoplay is enabled, a suggested video will automatically play next.

Up next

to add this to Watch Later

Add to

Loading playlists...