Should I go to the police?





The interactive transcript could not be loaded.


Rating is available when the video has been rented.
This feature is not available right now. Please try again later.
Published on Oct 2, 2014

Society needs victims of sex offences to report these crimes to the police. This is the only way our criminal justice system can prevent other people also being victimised by the same offender. But the process can be so difficult that most victims choose not to report the crime. In this video psychologist Dr Nina Burrowes explains why one of the biggest problems in this area is public understanding of the realities of sexual abuse.

Thinking of reporting a crime to the police? If you live in the UK you do not need to go into a police station to report a sex offence. We like our acronyms in this space - so search online for your local SARC (Sexual Assault Referral Centre), ISVA (Independent Sexual Violence Advisor) or contact your local Victim Support Office. You can talk to people, get advice, and take your time to make a decision that’s right for you.

For viewers outside of the UK I recommend you contact your local charity or organisation that supports victims of sexual abuse as they will be able to point you in the right direction so that you can get the information that you need. If you have information that may be useful to other viewers please feel free to post it in the comments section on YouTube.

If you do decide to report the crime you may find that society forgets to thank you. So, from me: Thank you.

Part of Season 1 of 'Sexual Abuse - The questions you've never had the chance to ask' by Dr Nina Burrowes. Submit your question for Season 2 in the comments section on YouTube of on twitter @NinaBurrowes

Find out more about Nina's work at www.ninaburrowes.com and www.nb-research.co.uk


When autoplay is enabled, a suggested video will automatically play next.

Up next

to add this to Watch Later

Add to

Loading playlists...