Rating is available when the video has been rented.
This feature is not available right now. Please try again later.
Uploaded on Nov 1, 2016
JENNY: 1. The NAD shall support the successful nationwide LEAD-K initiative for the purpose of ending language, cultural, and physical/emotional deprivation. The NAD shall also seek to convene a national coalition led by LEAD-K and the NAD and consist of select organizations committed to the inclusion and preservation of American Sign Language as a human right in the United States of America.
2. The NAD shall also, through collaboration with State Associations and affiliates, aggressively promote and disseminate research and testimony challenging related propaganda/falsehoods to target audiences including the general public, parents of Deaf, DeafBlind, Deaf with Disabilities and Hard of Hearing children, and the medical community. The NAD shall also communicate to external stakeholders the importance of baby sign language and how it positively impacts future language acquisition and development.
3. Using data-driven research available, the NAD and LEAD-K shall design, develop, implement and maintain a collaborative strategy to have nationwide Deaf educational and advocacy organizations and programs include and preserve American Sign Language as an inherent human right in their organizational and programmatic missions and core values. An important component of this strategy is to ensure that organizations advocate teaching sign language to all Deaf and Hard of Hearing babies.
4. The NAD and LEAD-K shall explore the feasibility of developing and executing a legislative strategy towards Federal and state legislation recognizing the American Deaf community as a protected class with the inherent right to learn and use American Sign Language and English.
5. The NAD and LEAD-K shall explore the feasibility of developing and executing a legislative strategy towards enacting and/or amending Federal and state legislation requiring national- and state-based Early Hearing Detection and Intervention (EHDI), LRE/ IDEA and other programs to recognize, include and preserve American Sign Language as an inherent human right.
6. The NAD and LEAD-K shall rally the American Deaf community to join the movement and educate members as to their roles and responsibilities.