(Use Google Chrome browser or Mozzila Firefox that support 360video media)
Executive Producer: Yannis Ntrenoyannis / Post Production Supervisor: Panagiotis B. Patsiaouras / Editing: Stefania Giannikou / VFX: Noise & Grain 360video filming crew: Dimitris Varalis, Asimakis Ntrenoyannis, Iakovos Ntrenoyannis
MOUTZOURIS of PELION- An introduction The mere existence of Mountzouris, a memory from the years of innocence and childhood, is touching.
The construction of the line of Pelion was decided in 1881. In December 1894, works began to draw the first segment from Volos to Lechonia. The study and responsibility of the work was undertaken by renowned engineer Evaristo de Chirico, father of the famous painter Giorgio de Chirico. The first section of the track opened in 1895. In 1900, the Thessalian Railways company decided to extend it until Milies, with the potential to reach Tsagarada and Zagora.
The bridges along the line, a real attraction, are 12 in total. Some are stone-built with carved marble stone. The most impressive one, the only made of iron, is 10 minutes from the station of Milies. It is located above the streat of Taxiarchis and bears the name of Evaristo de Chirico. It is worth taking a walk there and admiring the art it was made with and its peculiarity: the tracks form a curve on the pod of the bridge that is straight!
The train operated until 1971 and then stopped its travels until 1996 when, fortunately for all of us, it was resumed. It was named Mountzouris due to the black smoke it left behind when burning coal. It had five locomotives, each with its own name: Volos, Miléai, Tsagarada, Iason and Pelion.
Even today, when it reaches the station of Milies, the diesel engine is disconnected from the wagons, tucked up on a circular iron platform and the employees turn it by hand to change direction and reconnect with the wagons. While it remains there, people observe it or enter the small museum which is full of information and children's drawings on Mountzouris.
We strongly recommend you make the trip from Anio Lechonia to Gatzea, Aghia Triada, Pinakates and Milies. Thirteen kilometers - a truly magical journey. It is no coincidence that in 1985, it was listed as a protected historical monument and it was proposed to include it in the list of UNESCO World Heritage Sights.