Rating is available when the video has been rented.
This feature is not available right now. Please try again later.
Published on May 20, 2018
The Massena Center Suspension Bridge was built in 1910 by the Town of Massena, New York for the cost of $40,000. The bridge was designed by a world renowned master bridge builder by the name of Holton D. Robinson.
Mr. Robinson was born and raised in Massena Center, the Grandson of one of the Town's earliest settlers, Daniel Robinson. A graduate of Saint Lawrence University, he made a career as a bridge engineer who specialized in the construction and design of suspension bridge cables.
Upon hearing about the construction project from his brother Joe, Mr. Holton put his job on hold as a chief engineer to return to his home and help design and construct the bridge.
The bridge opened on January 1st 1911 and serviced the community until its closure in 1977. The bridge was closed due to the deterioration of the decking and roadbed.
The Massena Center Historical Society is working towards the restoration and preservation of this historic structure. For more information please check out our website and Facebook page.