More recipes at http://www.bhavnaskitchen.com
Topics @ http://www.desiviva.com
Download Bhavna's Kitchen apps for Android, iPhone and iPad
Like me on FACEBOOK http://www.facebook.com/superveggiede...
Tweet with me on TWITTER http://www.twitter.com/bhavnaskitchen
FOR THE BATTER
Chick pea flour 1 Cup (16 tbs)
Semolina 1 1⁄2 Tablespoon
Citric acid 1⁄2 Teaspoon (Nimbu ke phool)
Salt To Taste
Sugar 1 1⁄2 Tablespoon
Turmeric powder 1 Pinch
Water 1 Cup (16 tbs)
Ginger paste 1 Teaspoon
Green chili paste 1 Teaspoon
Oil 2 Tablespoon
Eno fruit salt 1 1⁄2 Teaspoon
FOR THE TEMPERING
Oil 1 Tablespoon
Mustard seeds 1⁄2 Teaspoon
Asafoetida 1 Pinch
Sesame seeds 1⁄2 Teaspoon
Green chilies 2 Medium, chopped (Optional)
FOR THE GARNISH
Fresh cilantro 1 Tablespoon, chopped finely
Coconut 1 Tablespoon, grated
1. Prepare the steamer by pouring water in it and allow it to boil.
2. Grease the tray (to go into the steamer) with cooking spray and set aside.
To prepare the batter:
3. In a bowl, take chick pea flour (besan), semolina, citric acid, turmeric powder, salt and sugar. Blend all these dry ingredients together.
4. Add water gradually in small quantities while stirring to make a smooth lump free batter.
5. Add the ginger paste, green chili paste and oil. Mix well.
6. Add eno fruit salt and blend well to form a fluffy batter. Once eno is added you have to be quick in putting the batter for steaming.
7. Once well mixed, pour the batter into the greased tray and place the tray inside the steamer. Steam for about 20 to 25 minutes.
8. Meanwhile for the tempering, heat a small pan with oil, add mustard seeds, asafoetida, sesame seeds and green chilies. Take it off the heat.
9. Once the khaman is done, take the tray out of the steamer and pour the tempering over the surface and cut into pieces.
10. Garnish with freshly chopped cilantro leaves and grated coconut.
11. Sprinkle some fine sev on the khaman and serve with mint and cilantro chutney along with green chilies.
For a little added sweetness, dissolve 1/2 tablespoon of sugar in 4 tablespoons of water and drizzle all over the top of the khaman, before cutting into pieces.
Things You Will Need
2. Cooking spray - to grease the steamer tray