Lost Ghost Airfield - Arizona





The interactive transcript could not be loaded.


Rating is available when the video has been rented.
This feature is not available right now. Please try again later.
Published on Jul 30, 2012

Lets explore the old Abandoned WW2 Auxiliary Airfield in Buckeye, Arizona!
Goodyear Auxiliary Satellite Airfield #6

Also this very location is known to the locals as "Froggy Bottom" and was used as a local drag strip in the late 1970's and early 1980's until the local authorities put a stop to that.

RECORDED: February 9, 2012
LOCATION: Buckeye, Arizona 85326
GPS: 33°26'31.49" N 112°30'43.51" W

Filmed & edited by the youtube channel: Commando602:

Another great tour of the Goodyear/Buckeye Auxiliary Airstrip was filmed by a fellow Arizonian and uploaded to his youtube channel ArizonaAdventures:

Arizona, Goodyear Auxiliary Army Airfield #6 was built in 1943 as one of a large number of satellite airfields for the United States Air Force, which was the largest single-engine advanced training base in the world during World War Two. According to a 1992 Army Corps of Engineers Report, the Goodyear Auxiliary #6 property consisted of a total of 1,159 acres.

According to the "History of Luke AFB" (obtained by David Brooks from the public affairs office at Luke AFB), Goodyear Field (#6) had three 4,000' x 300' runways, and the construction costs for its airdrome was $263,000. Among Luke's auxiliary airfields, "Fighter & Goodyear Fields boasted the most facilities, each having separate buildings for crew chiefs, operations, supply, barracks, pit latrine, crash truck shed, generator shed and a control tower." The earliest depiction the Goodyear auxiliary airfield which has been located was on the March 1945 Phoenix Sectional Chart (courtesy of Chris Kennedy).

A 1949 aerial photo (courtesy of John Arthur) depicted the Goodyear Aux #6 airfield in its original configuration, with 3 runways & a parking ramp on the southeast side. Several small buildings were just east of the parking ramp.

The site was declared excess & deeded to the State of Arizona in 1949, but was then reestablished & expanded by the Air Force later that same year. It was last used for emergency landings, dart target launchings, and as an emergency drop zone for flight training missions from Luke AFB. "Luke AF #6" was depicted as an active airfield on the 1956 Phoenix Sectional chart (courtesy of John Voss), which described the longest runway as being a 5,300' hard-surfaced strip. The Army Corps of Engineers indicated that the site was declared excess in 1957.

However, "Luke AF #6" was still depicted as an active airfield on the 1966 Phoenix Local aeronautical chart (courtesy of John Voss). Luke AF Aux #6 was evidently closed at some point between 1966-71, as it was labeled "closed" on the August 1971 USAF Tactical Pilotage Chart (courtesy of Chris Kennedy). At some point between 1966-71 the primary runway was apparently lengthened to its ultimate configuration of 6,200'. That may indicate that it was used at a relatively late period in its history for jet aircraft, as 6,200' is longer than the typical runway of a WW2 era training field.

You can clearly see the numbers "312" and a red scorpion painted on the pavement during this video footage. It is told that the 312thTFTS FS "scorpions" role was training and was disbanded in 1991.

Info courtesy of ArizonaAdventures:

TAGS: ww2 ghost airfield "ghost plane" "ghost squadron" "abandoned airfield" "haunted locations" army usaf "air force" "world war 2" military "war planes" "luke afb" adventures exploring hiking "World War II" buckeye goodyear arizona


When autoplay is enabled, a suggested video will automatically play next.

Up next

to add this to Watch Later

Add to

Loading playlists...