Rating is available when the video has been rented.
This feature is not available right now. Please try again later.
Published on Apr 3, 2009
Project for Mr. Read in TWTW class at MacNeill.
For "The Way Things Work", we had to make a crane (or something equivalent to one) that could pick up a bolt (the one you see in the video) and keep it up in the air while turning AT LEAST 90 degrees, and then drpo the bolt. THe crane was built of only (mostly) acrylic, and could only be powered by hydraulics (the syringes). This project was actually finished three-four weeks after the due date. My group had to come in after school almost everday to finish it, and we finally did. It was VERY frustrating. Warning to anyone who receives this project... DO NOT MAKE IT HUGE! It's a big pain in the backside! If we were to take all the acrylic and syringes we used to built that monstrosity and divide it up, we could make three PROPER-sized cranes like everyone else. Dear god, don't let anyone go through as much trouble as we did. Yes, we got an A on the project (including the reflection report at the end), but it was still a big pain in the backside.
EDIT: Sorry, I just realized I uploaded the same video twice! Whoopsies.
This is a hydraulic crane made of acrylic (plastic) and is powered by hydraulics (syringes). This project was actually finished three-four weeks AFTER the due date. My group of me and three guys (DX) had to come in pretty much everyday after school to finish it. Once we had to order pizza because we stayed until, I think, eight o'clock. Pizza was good... Warning to anyone who is assigned this project: WATCH THE SIZE! This crane is about twice to three times larger than everyone else's in our class (who finished a hell of a lot faster than we did, by the way) and we used enough acrylic and syringes to make three better-sized cranes. Trust me, if you want to impress your teacher with a monstrousity like this, DON'T!!! It's not worth it! Just make a simple one and get your grade, jeez! I'll be uploading a semi-funny video of our mess-ups. Hee hee.
Credit for each part of the project: Camera: Me. Performance: The guys (I can think of a few other words to describe them...) Plans: Tony and his computer (used Sketch Up for the plans) Cutting plastic: The guys Assembling: All four of us Syringes (sticking them on, filling them, coloring the water, etc.): Me! My favorite part of the whole project! I love food coloring. :D Support: My many friends who came in to keep me company instead of leaving me with three guys, Mr. Read for advice and occasional assistance, and everyone else who constantly told us it wouldn't work (touch of sarcasm)!