Loading...

Carbon Monoxide - Be Alarmed!

18,500 views

Loading...

Loading...

Transcript

The interactive transcript could not be loaded.

Loading...

Loading...

Rating is available when the video has been rented.
This feature is not available right now. Please try again later.
Published on Jan 22, 2010

Campaign warns public of Carbon Monoxide dangers

We all think we are safety conscious, especially when it comes to our home. We make sure that our fire alarms work correctly, that we lock all doors and windows before leaving the house and that we switch off all plugs before going on holiday, but are we being as safe as we think?

Impossible to detect without the aid of an alarm, Carbon Monoxide poisoning claims the lives of 30 people each year and many more become seriously ill as a result of it. In fact according to research* by the Carbon Monoxide - Be Alarmed campaign, eight out of ten people (81%) could actually be at risk of this deadly gas because they dont have an audible alarm and with around one in ten of us not realising just how dangerous Carbon Monoxide is to your health**, there is a serious concern about our lack of knowledge.

Carbon Monoxide is produced when fuel-burning appliances, such as boilers and cookers are incorrectly fitted, badly repaired or poorly maintained. Danger signs that indicate the possibility of a Carbon Monoxide leak include gas appliances burning with a lazy yellow or orange flame, sooting or staining around the appliances, and excessive condensation in the room where the appliance is installed.

In this video Melissa Matthews, whose brother Tony died of Carbon Monoxide poisoning and Dr Rob Hicks, explain the dangers, the symptoms and just how easy it can be to make your home safe.




For more information visit www.co-bealarmed.co.uk

*Ipsos MORI face-to-face Omnibus survey of 1,915 adults aged 18+ in GB, 27th November 3rd December 2009. 161 sample points used.
** According to the Ipsos MORI research* 8% of people did not know that Carbon Monoxide is harmful, while 13% of those who dont have an audible Carbon Monoxide alarm (13%) are putting their lives at risk because they simply dont consider Carbon Monoxide to be a significant risk to their health or think that Carbon Monoxide poisoning is rare.

Loading...

Advertisement
When autoplay is enabled, a suggested video will automatically play next.

Up next


to add this to Watch Later

Add to

Loading playlists...