FOUNDER IS ALLEGED TO HAVE MISAPPROPRIATED MILLIONS OF DOLLARS OF PUBLIC FUNDS
Thanks for watching; there is no other outlet for accountability. Please leave coherent comments and questions. Absurd comments will be deleted. Dr. Chavis shifts my camera to kiss it at 9:13. Gross.
Questions below - I had to speak quickly to be heard.
1. Regarding 4.1 Financial Update, 5.3 AIPCS Charter Renewal, and 5.4 Approval of AIM Schools Audit
Government Code Section 1090 prohibits a public official from participating in any decision concerning a public contract in which he or she has a private financial interest. Any participation by an officer or an employee in the process by which such a contract is developed, negotiated, and executed is a violation of section 1090.
Ms. Walker informed me today 1/11/12 that Dr. Chavis is a member of the school board. He was elected to an executive position during the summer school session in 2011. Does the school board believe this is a conflict of interest, considering the building's landlord is Lumbee Properties LLC, which is owned by Chavis? The school is a nonprofit, correct? I find these questions are very much related to the agenda, but if the board doesn't think so, please make it an agenda item on the next meeting. When will Dr. Chavis resign as interim chief?
2. Approval of Tucson Schools 5.1 - Who is spearheading Tucson schools, and what will be the new chain of command at AIM? Is it legal to have the existing board in a different state? How is the board of AIPCS going to have any idea of what is going on in Tucson if everyone is from California?
3. Approval of Tucson Schools 5.1 - Did AIM receive funding for Tucson? I'm concerned because strong teachers were denied raises during a 2011 board meeting. Where is the money coming from? I want confirmation AIM is not funding Tucson.
4. Approval of Tucson Schools 5.1 - Is AIM renting space in Tucson from Dr. Chavis or one of his companies? Who will be the landlord?
5. Financial update 4.1 - Why were the payments of teacher bonuses delayed, and why have bonuses shrunk, considering the high paying positions (COO, CEO, etc.) which were created in recent years? Will teachers receive raises which, at the very least, reflect the rate of inflation?
6. Financial update 4.1 -- Weren't all audits rejected last year by OUSD? What is APICS doing to remedy the situation?
7. Financial update 4.1 - Is Koret still funding AIPCS?
8. Financial update 4.1 - COI question: Has every member of this board filled out a Form 700? I am a taxpayer and concerned about conflict of interest. Has this been done?
9. Financial update 4.1 - Can I have information about the current committees of the board?
10. Does American Indian complete a fingerprint/background check on all employees and volunteers? I request that this be an action item on the next agenda meeting. I ask, given I was notified (by a student) of an undocumented worker who was allegedly dating a seventh grade student at the Magee campus. This undocumented worker was allegedly hired by Chavis to assist with traffic duty, and subsequently fired by Ms. Walker after news of their inappropriate relationship. Can all board members show that they have been recently fingerprinted, especially those that interact with students?
11. How can I help American Indian with expansion? What is AIM's aggressive growth plan? How can I help? I worked at the school for two and a half years, have seen so much, and am a firm believer in the model!
* I want to submit for the record a copy of my questions (especially the last one). I know board members are not required to respond but when should I expect a response?*