I placed everything as close to pixel-perfect as I could, and I used original Earthbound game assets wherever possible. I had to correct the perspective for certain parts of certain objects (sides of tents and buildings,) which I did in a way that was true to the original color palette and pixel size.
The moving parts (creatures, leaves) were done with lots of fun AE expressions and scripts. I did as little by hand as I could manage--I tried to script the assets to be smart enough to take care of themselves for things like walking animations and changing sprites to turn. I love working with this kind of stuff! If you have any questions, email me: dan.fitzgerald.av (at) gmail