For more pottery tips, visit http://lakesidepottery.com/Pages/Tips...
For more hand building tips, visit http://lakesidepottery.com/HTML%20Tex...
To make an animal using "Pinch pot" method with minimal tools and equipment. Lakeside Pottery uses this project to provide instant gratification in the first class or two where it increases self confidence and interest to learn more about pottery.
What is needed:
2) Pin tool
Step by step:
1) Form two equal sized balls of clay, approximately 1/2 pound each.
2) Hold ball in left hand and push right thumb into the middle of the ball leaving about 1/4" - 1/2" thickness at the bottom.
3) Slowly and evenly pinch the clay, starting at the bottom rotating the ball, moving toward the top edge. Leave about 1/4" thickness at edge.
4) Once both pinch pots have been created, score with a pin tool both edges.
5) Apply slip heavily to one pot.
6) Join pots. They might not fit exactly, this is fine. Slide the back of the thumb from one pot over seam onto the other.
7) Once the seam is completely sealed, air is trapped like a balloon and the object can be altered to create desired shape by gently rolling and pressing.
8) To form a head, make another much smaller pinch pot and attach it to body form using the slip and score method described above (not shown).
9) Add legs and feet, always remembering to slip and score everything.
10) To form spines, roll small pieces of clay into approximately 1/2" long coils. Fold in half and press folded end onto clay body, smearing and smoothing as you go.
11) Cut a hole on the bottom to allow air to escape while drying and during firing. Also, create an air passage between the head and the body.
12) Dry very slowly by lightly covering the finished work.
13) High firing (cone 6 or higher) is recommended to insure the spines are not too fragile in the finished product
Lakeside Pottery is a ceramic art and craft educational resource for the community focusing on clay art. We seek to inspire creativity, foster self-discovery, and nurture an appreciation to learn about art through our pottery programs, special events and access to our studio, clay center and gallery.
IN OUR FACILITY ....
Learn the art of pottery through our ceramic art classes, using the potters wheel and ceramic sculpting, in a professional, spacious and well lit studio centrally located in Stamford, CT.
Instruction activities for children, adults and seniors include group classes (beginners and advanced), private lessons, after school art for kids programs and summer camp. Open Studio time can be purchased for independent work. Teachers professional development, corporate team building workshops, custom programs, birthday party events for children or adults and gift certificates are also offered. Our gallery include diverse handmade pottery work made by our instructors.
We service Southern CT, Fairfield County, Westchester, White Plains and Rockland County, NY. Towns: Cos Cob, Darien, Fairfield, Greenwich, New Canaan, Old Greenwich, Ridgefield, Rowayton, Southport, Stamford, Weston, Westport, Wilton, Norwalk, Pound Ridge, Bedford, South Salem, Pound Ridge, Purchase, Armonk, NYC.
Lakeside Pottery Ceramic School and Studio
543 Newfield Avenue
Stamford, CT 06905