This case study is a great demonstration of some of the many variables that come into play during diagnosis. As we found out, this GM 2.2L engine with a broken timing chain is not only capable of producing spark, but spark at the correct time! I also demonstrate some quick testing methods with simple tools and scan data to point you in the direction of a timing issue. Be sure to check out part two of this case study for more info.
Engine Performance Diagnostics chapter 23
- crank no start (unusual cranking rhythm)
- spark present
- check engine light (P0107, P0141, P0340, P0440, P1621, P0621)
- repaired the failed timing chain
- how to test for spark out of a plug wire
- how to use carburetor cleaner to check for a fuel delivery problem
- how to use scan data to check for a mechanical engine issue
- understanding MAP sensor readings and how they relate to mechanical integrity
- how to perform a relative compression test with an ignition event synchronized
- analyzing a relative compression waveform, comparing ignition timing to compression
- how to scope crankshaft position and camshaft position sensor signals
- how to check for camshaft rotation by removing the camshaft position sensor
- incandescent test light
- carburetor cleaner
- scan tool
- Pico four channel lab scope
- high amp probe
- ignition sync probe
- (Chapter 23) No Start Diagnostics with good spark and fuel
- How to identify a broken timing chain - GM 2.2 (part 2)
- Honda Civic 1.7 (start, run, stall case study)
- How to check for a jumped timing chain or belt
- Jumped timing chain (no compression on 3 cylinders) - GM 3.6
- Jeep 4.0L timing problems (a ScannerDanner Premium video)
For more information on this topic, I have written a “field manual” called Engine Performance Diagnostics which is available at www.scannerdanner.com as an eBook or paper book.
Want even more diagnostic training? Whether you are a DIY trying to fix your own car, someone looking to become an auto technician, or a current auto technician that wants to get more into diagnostics, subscribe to ScannerDanner Premium right here on YouTube. There is a 14 day free trial.
On ScannerDanner Premium I will bring you right into my classroom at Rosedale Technical College. You will find page for page lectures taken right from my book as well as exclusive classroom type case studies. What is so special about these classroom case studies? I pull live problem vehicles directly into my classroom and we troubleshoot them in real time, using and applying the theory and testing procedures we learn during the classroom lectures. There is no better on-line training of how to troubleshoot automotive electrical and electronics systems anywhere!