Rating is available when the video has been rented.
This feature is not available right now. Please try again later.
Published on Apr 21, 2012
Student made Documentary on the BZ reaction and its history. Physical Chemistry II, University of Minnesota - Morris Produced by Matt Lovander, Lewis Owen, and Alex Weber Narration by Professor James Togeas
Build story- When we started this project we were going to use any freeware we could get our hands on at home, then somehow piece this movie together. During the time we performed the reaction, we pretty much decided we were going to ask Jim to narrate, if he was interested of course. As we were considering our editing options someone said "wouldn't it be easier and cool," found cool but not necessarily easier, if we could use the media equipment of media services? We walked over to HFA, went to the office of Roger Boleman, he said "sure we can do that" and also said he would put us in contact with Mike Cihak. They showed us a few basics on Final Cut Pro and set us up with an EditShare account. Things really took off from there. We began laying out the the video and gathering information for each segment, approached Jim with the offer .. obviously accepting, and putting a script together. Lewis used FreeStudio (specifically the movie to frames program), JES (Jython Environment for Students) software and MS Excel to obtain the graphs based on actual color pixels in the beaker in each frame, I began laying out the video in Final Cut Pro and Alex started the script. We combined forces many times throughout the video to watch individual progress and provide any extra insight or help to each other. Professor Barbara Burke was in the lab one day and mentioned how we should use the recording studio, so again we contacted Roger and he set Jim and us up to record our script in an actual recording studio. Using Audacity audio software and royalty free music Alex found online, I cut pieces of music and sized them to match the video. Alex and Lewis took care of all the narration recording and editing, then sent the segments to me so I could add them into Final Cut Pro. The size of the slides was adjusted to the match the audio then the video was rendered. After rendering the video, we used Compressor to bring the DVD up to the highest quality, took about 3.5 hours. After compressing the audio and video we used DVD Studio to add the DVD menu and burned the DVD. To post it on YouTube, Lewis exported the Final Cut Pro file into a Quicktime movie and set up a YouTube account and loaded it, about 2 hours.