Ex-pro triathlete Mark Threlfall explains the benefits of running on a treadmill compared to running outside. Both approaches have their benefits when preparing for a triathlon. However, which is the more powerful training tool? 🏃
Subscribe to GTN: http://gtn.io/SubscribetoGTN
Check out the GTN Shop: http://gtn.io/M
Running on the treadmill or running outdoors? They are very different but can both be valuable training tools if used correctly.
Indoor Running - Treadmill
- Nothing can stop you if you are running indoors, you protected from the elements and bad conditions and should therefore always be able to complete a session.
- To make running on the treadmill more realistic, set the treadmill to a 1% gradient to account for the lack of wind resistance when running indoors.
- The treadmill is a great tool for completing a specific session at a desired pace due to the consistent nature of the surface.
- With regards to injury, treadmills are smooth and cushioned so reduce the impact of running but the repetitive movement can led to injury.
Outdoor Running - Road, Track, Trails
- It can be frustrating if you are not be able to do a proper run session if you the surface or weather conditions do not allow it.
- One main difference with running outside is that you control the pace. On a treadmill you can't slow down, but outside you can drift off without noticing and therefore you need to keep on top of your effort level and pace.
- Completing a target route and exploring can often be very motivating and seen as an achievent.
- With regards to injury, the uneven surface can cause issues. Beware for dangerous areas, sprained ankles and stay aware on trails.
If you'd like to contribute captions and video info in your language, here's the link 👍 http://gtn.io/N
Watch more on GTN...
📹 How To Run Like A Pro http://gtn.io/P
📹 How To Run A Fast 5k http://gtn.io/O
The Global Triathlon Network (GTN) is the best triathlon YouTube channel, with videos for anyone who loves triathlon: from seasoned Ironman racers to first timers – and everyone in between.
With the help of our pro and Olympic medal winning team, we’re here to inform, entertain and inspire you to become a better triathlete; including videos on:
How to swim, bike, and run faster with expert knowledge
Beat your PB with record-breaking expertise
Get the best from your bike and gear with pro know-how
In-depth, entertaining features from the heart of the sport
Chat, opinion and interact with us across the channel and on social media every week
Join us on YouTube’s best triathlon channel to get closer to the sport and to become a better, faster and fitter triathlete.
Welcome to the Global Triathlon Network.
Thanks to our sponsors:
Cervelo bikes: http://gtn.io/cervelo
Assos of Switzerland clothing: http://gtn.io/Assos
KASK helmets: http://gtn.io/kask
Park Tool: http://gtn.io/parktool
Profile Design: http://gtn.io/profiledesign
Zipp wheels: http://gtn.io/zipp
Quarq powermeters: http://gtn.io/quarq
Vision wheels: http://gtn.io/vision
Team Bath: http://gtn.io/TeamBath
YouTube Channel - http://gtn.io/YouTube
Facebook - http://gtn.io/Facebook
Instagram - http://gtn.io/Instagram
Twitter - http://gtn.io/Twitter
Google+ - http://gtn.io/GooglePlus
Strava Club - http://gtn.io/stravaclub