► European Parliament, Brussels, 19 February 2009
Czech President Vaclav Klaus addresses the European Parliament, marking the Czech Presidency of the EU Council. The Czech President had asked for this visit himself, as Mr Pöttering informed the House during the meeting, which lasted from 11:05 to 11:45
♦ The speakers were as follows:
• Hans-Gert Pöttering 7 mins
• Václav Klaus 26 mins
• Hans-Gert Pöttering 4 mins
♦ Featured in this video:
• Václav Klaus, President of the Czech Republic
• Hans-Gert Pöttering MEP, President of the European Parliament
• Avril Doyle MEP (EPP-ED)
• Martin Sculz MEP, President of the PES (snippet)
• Shots from the satirical leaflet welcoming the Czech President to the European Parliament with "A Constitutional Guide to the Political Groups"*
This video features excerpts from President Klaus' speech, part of Mr Pöttering's second short speech and Ms Doyle's point of order. There was no debate. After both Klaus and Pöttering left the House, Diana Wallis MEP (ALDE) presided. Three MEPs were allowed to intervene before the House went on with its usual business:
1. Austrian MEP Hans-Peter Martin (non-attached, formerly with PES) pointed out that the president did not intervene on interruptions as he had done the last time a head of state was interrupted;
2. Irish MEP Avril Doyle (EPP-ED), whose point of order is included in the video, and which concerns the dissemination of "materials to influence the outcome of the Lisbon treaty ratification process"*;
3. German MEP Martin Schulz, President of the Socialists (PES), replied to Mr Martin that when the Greek prime minsiter was in the EP for the signing of the charter, Klaus was allowed to speak and that was "the difference between us and them" (presumably referring to some partisan incident between the PES and the conservative EPP-ED)
* The leaflet was produced by the Independence/Democracy Group in the European Parliament and is the creation of YouTube.com/europarl and MugDesign. Incidentally, the acting president asked by Avril Doyle to give a ruling on this dissemination of leaflets was Diana Wallis MEP (ALDE), who features on the same leaflet holding a Referendum placard next to the pro-Constitution-without-asking-the-people president of the ALDE group, Graham Watson.
► The translation of President Klaus' speech is taken from the offical copy (EN) handed out by the Czech delegation. The translations for Pöttering and Schulz are based on live interpretation.
• European Parliament Mulitimedia Library: http://www.europarl.europa.eu/wps-eur... (For which I got copyrighted by EuroNews and slammed with adverts - and yet this remains public domain because whatever happens in the European Parliament is paid for by the European taxpayers).
• Intro and ending: "Irish Traditional Uilleann Pipes" - Gerry McFadden
• "The Temple" - soundtrack, World of Warcraft
• "Malta Suite" - by Maltese composer Charles Camilleri, National Orchestra, Teatru Manoel, Valletta, conducted by Brian Schembri.
• "Death of a Cat" - TerrorStorm, Alex Jones
► EU Member States:
Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Germany, Denmark, Estonia, Spain, Finland, France, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Sweden, United Kingdom
♦ Other states in Europe:
Switzerland, Iceland, Norway, Faroes, Andorra, Monaco, Liechtenstein, San Marino, Russia, Ukraine, Moldova, Transdniestria (Transnistria), Belarus, Turkey, Croatia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Serbia, Montenegro, Albania, Kosovo, Abkhazia, South Ossetia.
► Tags to wake up the Eye-ties:
Italia, dove sei? Italiani per la liberta, dove siete? Con Cappato che dichiara gli "stati uniti d'europa"! Italiani della RAI PippoBaudiana - svegliatevi dal sonno! Siete il popolo piu eurofilo nell'unione. --- roma torino milano genova verona venezia firenze bologna rimini bari brindisi napoli brescia palermo sardegna sicilia pozzallo pozzalletto pozzallettino pozzallettinolla gladio