Rating is available when the video has been rented.
This feature is not available right now. Please try again later.
Published on Mar 3, 2010
visit us at www.stuffthatsgone.com This was a large passenger station that handled both people and express/baggage. There is a large central tower. At one time, there were covered platforms on both sides of the tracks, with a pedestrian tunnel under the tracks. The station area was used as a stop for the daily P&LE passenger train between Beaver Falls and Pittsburgh until that service ended. The building was converted to an auto parts store in the late '70s?, which resulted in some architectural changes (a new door was put in an odd location). The station has been vacant since the business moved elsewhere. There may be an effort to preserve and renovate the building by a local railroad museum group. The station was designed by Henry Hobson Richardson (1838-1886) who also designed the Allegheny Courthouse and Jail. The station, originally known as the Middletown Station, was completed on February 24, 1879.