Rating is available when the video has been rented.
This feature is not available right now. Please try again later.
Published on Jun 3, 2007
This animation was made for a yearly art festival in my hometown Maastricht (kunsttour.com). Showing all my old stuff wasn't an option. So I started building a set and tried to come up with a story with two characters and a lot of violence : ) Filming took six full days in a period of three weeks. I only had the chance to animate when I had a day off from work. But sculpting, storyboarding and setting up scenes where done every evening. A very talented Dutch musician (dob Audio) gave me the opportunity to use his music.
Hope you all like it!!
No clay was harmed during the production of this animation : )
Here some more details for other filmmakers and people who are interested:
The set was build with a soft wooden floor, styrofoam, montage kit, paint and a little fake plant. The total cost of the production was about € 100,- The frame rate is mostly 12 fps, but some parts where increased up to 24 fps. Exactly 2532 pictures where taken to complete the animation. The UFO part was shot real time with wires. But you probably saw that already (wires are clearly visible). All movements of the little blob character where done with replacements. Meaning that every frame has another ready sculpted replacement character. Almost 100 replacements where sculpted for all the blobs movements in the animation. It's a very quick way to animate : ) The shots where a character comes out of the ground were filmed backwards, because it's easier to slice the character with fishing wire than to rebuild it. The clay I used is found in almost every toy store. It's modelling clay in a few different colors which stays soft. You can mix colors together to get the color you desire. Nails with both ends sharp where used to let the humanoid character stand in any position. The nails are hammered in the soft wooden floor and fit in holes under feet that reach a few centimeters up the legs for stability. The characters armature holds up to 30 individual small metal wires in each body part. It's impossible for a limb to break off even if you try. Metal strips are twisted around the metal wires to prevent bending on unwanted places (bones). Check our armature building tutorial: http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee...
The puppet is made using the buildup technique. Applying layers of cotton wool soaked in liquid rubber directly onto the armature. Acrylic paint is added to the liquid rubber to get the right color. I used a Canon MVX20i DV-cam and Stopmotion Pro Version 4. The blur effects where made with the character/object hanging on a wire and then moved the object/character while the frame was averaged. Magix Video Deluxe was used for editing. I used a picture from the moon of my previous animation (Misplaced) in the background.