Can the Jones Act get you paid after a maritime accident?





The interactive transcript could not be loaded.



Rating is available when the video has been rented.
This feature is not available right now. Please try again later.
Published on Oct 10, 2011


If someone in your family was harmed or injured while working in a maritime job or on an offshore rig, you know that his or her recovery is very expensive. You know that it involves skyrocketing medical bills, missing wages due to missed work and a variety of other injury related costs.

That's why you're looking for solutions — for the means by which you can recover such costs when an accident injury was caused by the negligence of another worker or of a captain, owner or employer of a rig, ship or vessel.

One such solution you may have encountered is known as the Jones Act. That's the name of a federal maritime law written in 1920 which still protects workers on waters today.

But how effective is the Jones Act? In other words, which injury costs does the Jones Act cover?

Actually, it covers so many costs that you can stop considering other means of financial compensation as your primary means of recovery. Instead, you can rely on the Jones Act as a protection for your injury accident losses. That's what it's designed to do, and that's what it still does today, over 90 years after the statute was enacted.

For one thing, the Jones Act can help you recover money for mental anguish, as well as for pain and suffering, caused by an accident injury on a maritime or offshore job. Such costs aren't as easily measurable or quantified as for, say, a series of hospital bills, but they are considered costs nonetheless, and you can secure compensation for them in the legal arena.

Such mental anguish or pain and suffering can follow when you are injured in a way which causes disfigurement to your face or other parts of your body. This may be due to a burn, or perhaps due to a wound which leaves a scar.

This long-standing maritime law also provides a means of recovering costs for your medical bills due to a work accident injury, as well as your expenses for rehabilitation while recovering from the injury.

If you lost money because you weren't paid when you couldn't work after a work accident injury, the Jones Act can help you get that money, too. Yes, you can be paid for present and future wages even if you weren't able to perform duties on the job. After all, it's not your fault that you aren't able to work.

If a maritime or offshore worker dies on the job due to an accident, then surviving family members can receive payments for that as well. Such payments can include money for lack of support if the worker was the family's chief source or revenue. They also can include money for lack of companionship, as well as for funeral costs.

Yes, these and other things can be provided by applying the Jones Act. But to do that, you will need an experienced Jones Act lawyer or maritime attorney to handle your case.

Where can you find such a knowledgeable maritime lawyer? You've already done so by being on this website.

Our attorney service of Texas Jones Act Lawyer.com, as well as the law firm of Jim S. Adler & Associates, can help you get the money you deserve under the Jones Act. And it won't cost you anything out of pocket, since your Jones Act lawyer only will be paid if we win your case, and even then, only from a portion of your settlement.

And all you need to do to start the ball rolling is to contact us, either by sending in this site's free consultation form or by phoning 1-800-566-3434.

Regardless of which option you choose, we're ready to help you get the money you deserve for a maritime accident injury or offshore accident injury. We're ready to apply the Jones Act and to seek Jones Act justice for you and your family.


to add this to Watch Later

Add to

Loading playlists...