Loading...

Sean Parent: "Now What? A vignette in three parts"

4,284 views

Loading...

Loading...

Transcript

The interactive transcript could not be loaded.

Loading...

Rating is available when the video has been rented.
This feature is not available right now. Please try again later.
Published on Jun 8, 2012

Sean's keynote from the C++Now conference
May 2012


Part 1: Beauty
C++ has seen a resurgence in usage as efficiency has come to dominate costs. Yet many still hold their nose as they move to C++. It can be a frightening transition for a programmer coming from Java, JavaScript, or Python. As a community we need to leverage the tools provided by C++11 to write beautiful, efficient, code.

Part 2: Truth
On modern hardware, straight C++ code gives you access to just 0.25% of the available performance on the machine. With C++11 we unlock only a little more with thread support. One of the largest challenges for the language and libraries going forward will be how to get at the other 99.75% of the machine.

Part 3: Goodness
A plethora of networked devices is changing the software landscape. The infrastructure of the internet is fading into the background and increasingly customers are expecting all of their information, available on all their devices, instantly. What impact do such systems have on how we architect and write software? What is the role C++ will play in this new world.

Loading...

When autoplay is enabled, a suggested video will automatically play next.

Up next


to add this to Watch Later

Add to

Loading playlists...